News
THE SEX TRADE ►Prostitution ►Pornography ►Sex Trafficking TACKLING DEMAND RELATED ISSUES ►Rape ►Rape and War ►Sexual Denigration MEN SPEAKING OUT

NZ: Man gives evidence rejecting sex claims (Southland)

Publish Date: 25 Nov 2011
Source: The Southland Times

A man facing historic sex charges against children took the stand during a High Court jury trial in Invercargill yesterday.

The 44-year-old faces four charges of indecently assaulting a child, four of doing an indecent act on a child, and two of sexual violation.

The Crown alleges the offending occurred between November 18, 2001, and December 31, 2007, with five complainants.

Defence lawyer Fiona Guy Kidd told the jury the alleged sexual touching did not occur and asked the man to outline his version of events.

The man detailed how he knew the children and how he acted around the children when the alleged assaults took place, while adding he had thought of them all as family and did not think his actions had been inappropriate.

However, Crown prosecutor John Young questioned how the man could recall his actions so clearly after such a long time and whether his memory was so good because he was lying. He also questioned whether it was a coincidence the girls were all of a similar age and were alleging similar assaults.

The man said he was not lying and that most of the girls had contact with each other at some stage, which he agreed could be a reason for the similar allegations.

The trial, which was being heard before Justice Simon France, will be summed up today before the jury makes its decision.
 

Copyright © 2011 Fairfax New Zealand Limited
http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/6031165/Man-gives-evidence-rejecting-sex-claims


Update:  
The man was found guilty on eight of the nine charges (no online report).  He is yet to be sentenced.