News
THE SEX TRADE ►Prostitution ►Pornography ►Sex Trafficking TACKLING DEMAND RELATED ISSUES ►Rape ►Rape and War ►Sexual Denigration MEN SPEAKING OUT

Australia/NZ: NZ serial rapist fuelled by Internet rape porn

Publish Date: 03 Sep 2010
Source: NZ Herald
By: AAP

File photo: NZ Herald.

NZ serial rapist jailed for 18 years


SYDNEY - A New Zealander guilty of raping two women and sexually assaulting 10 others across Sydney has been jailed for at least 18 years and nine months.

Shannon Curreen, 23, will be imprisoned until at least May 2028 for "serious sexual assaults on women who were strangers to him", a Sydney court was told today.

Judge Berman said Curreen fantasised after watching rape scenes on internet site YouTube.

"It is a remarkable thing to note that the offender has assaulted a total of 12 women ... 10 of those victims in just a couple of days," said Judge Paul Berman when sentencing Curreen.

In the first attack in February last year, Curreen approached his victim from behind as she walked home through the Woollahra golf course in east Sydney about 12.30am.

He held a blade to her throat, tripped her and said: "I don't want to hurt you, I just want to have sex."

Further attacks occurred in Sydney's inner-west, during which Curreen raped or attempted to rape his victims, who were aged between 16 and 39.

Between July 31 and August 2 last year, he assaulted 10 women.

Victims yesterday told the court they continued to live in fear and had withdrawn from society.

"His brazen, repeated conduct ... is remarkable," Judge Berman said.

He was arrested on August 25, last year, and pleaded guilty to the offences earlier this year.

Judge Berman said Curreen fantasised after watching rape scenes on internet site YouTube.

"The offender told (a psychologist) he felt good after raping his victims. It gave him power .... He enjoyed the power he felt when he heard the victims scream," he said.

Curreen's victims did not speak to reporters outside court, but a police officer linked to the case said the women were "very happy with the matter being over".

Victims yesterday told the court they continued to live in fear and had withdrawn from society.

Three victim impact statements were read out during sentencing submissions.

One woman said: "All I remember (is) his weight on top of me, the blade against my throat.

"He told me, `Don't look back, keep walking. I've stalked you for two days, I know where you live'."

Another victim said in her statement that after being attacked by Curreen she was left with cuts and scratches and remained "very scared and angry".

"With two young children to bring up, this incident leaves me feeling flat and doubting the safety of the world I brought them into," she said.
 


Copyright © 2010, APN Holdings NZ Limited
Article